Books by Dave Fox
Books are cool! And Dave’s written some! Cuddle up with a paperback, go digital with Kindle, or listen to him on an audiobook CD!
(Please note that while this site is undergoing a big overhaul, some of these links might temporarily take you to Dave’s older websites. If you have any problems, please e-mail Dave.)
Globejotting: How to Write Extraordinary Travel Journals (and still have time to enjoy your trip!)
Formats Available: Paperback, Kindle.
Most travel diaries fizzle. By day six of a trip, you’re struggling to recall what happened on days three, four, and five. Dave Fox comes to the rescue in this book that’s both informative and irreverently funny. You’ll learn how to:
- Bring destinations to life with bold details.
- Splash those details quickly onto your pages so journaling doesn’t gobble up precious vacation time.
- Elude your “Inner Censor” and write with confidence.
- Weave together your “outer” and “inner” journeys, using foreign cultures as backdrops for self-discovery.
- Become more aware of your surroundings and experiences as you travel.
Dave shares his favorite journaling techniques, shows how to find time to write in the middle of an exciting trip, and infuses it all with a generous dose of his off-the-wall humor!
“Dave Fox understands how journaling can help that great trip become a candy jar of memories that you can dip into for the rest of your life. And his book tells how.”
PBS television host and author of “Europe Through the Back Door”
|Kindle E-Book||US $5.95||Download for Kindle|
(Sorry. Autographed copies are unavailable until this summer.)
NEW: Check Out the Online Video Workshops!
- Dave’s Globejotting book is now available as an interactive online course! Dave distills all the key points from his book into 75 minutes of fun, informative, lively lessons. Normally priced at $25, you can get lifetime enrollment in the workshop for just $18 if you follow this link. (This link and the ones below also let you check out some free sample lessons before you sign up. All courses come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.) >>>Find Out More!
- Travel Writing: Explore the World and Publish Your Stories
This course picks up where the above “Globejotting” book and course leave off. Writing travel tales for others to read requires a different approach from journaling. This comprehensive travel writing workshop contains more than three hours of lessons to help you transform your “rough draft” travel journals into stories readers will love. Great for bloggers, aspiring freelancers, and anyone who wants to share their travel tales with others. Normally $45, follow this link and pay $35: >>>Find Out More!
More Online Courses with Dave Fox:
- Humor Writing: How to Think, Write, Speak, and Be Funnier
- The Psychology of Writing 1: Overcome Writer’s Block and Write Boldly
- The Psychology of Writing 2: Defeat Distractions and Write More
Getting Lost: Mishaps of an Accidental Nomad
Formats Available: Paperback (first and second editions), Kindle (Second edition only. “Deleted scenes” from the first edition are now available as a low-priced “Kindle Single” in “Loster: Hilarious Travel Tales Rescued from the Elusive First Edition of ‘Getting Lost.’ “)
“When you travel, things go wrong.”
That might not sound like uplifting advice, but in this collection of stories about mishaps in faraway places, award winning humorist Dave Fox proves otherwise.
At age eight, Dave nearly starts a riot in Northern Africa. As a nerdy teenager, he smuggles illegal radio equipment into Finland on his way to spending a year in Norway. In his college days, he discovers it is not wise to seek inner peace inside a volcano. A few years later, he does something exceptionally reckless. He becomes a professional tour guide for European travel guru Rick Steves.
Dave travels knowing that when things go wrong, they might not seem funny at the time, but the resulting stories are worth the chaos. Winner of the Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop Book Proposal Contest, Getting Lost: Mishaps of an Accidental Nomad is now available in a new-and-improved, bovine-friendly second edition!
(A few copies of the self-published first edition are still available through this website too. This edition included 11 short bonus stories and a very different ending. It did not, however, go through as thorough of an editing process as the second edition. Chapters deleted from the second edition are now available as “Loster,” a low-priced Kindle download.)
Order “Getting Lost!”
|Autographed Paperback – Second Edition (Inkwater Press)||US $16.95|
|Autographed Paperback – First Edition (Self-Published / Self-Edited / Contains nine short bonus chapters.)||US $12.95|
|Autographed Paperback – Both Editions (Buy one copy of each edition and save $8.95!)||US $22.95|
|Kindle E-Book – Getting Lost: Second Edition||US $5.95||Download for Kindle|
Kinky Chipmunks and Horny Goblins
Formats available: Kindle download.
• What are the benefits of snorting catnip while lip-syncing the words to “Convoy” by C.W. McCall?
• What should you do if your Mazda 323 is possessed by demons?
• Are the carb-deprivation-induced hallucinations one experiences on the Atkins Diet really as awesome as people claim?
• Why are chipmunks so obsessed with porn?
• Is the number ten really as freaking important as everybody seems to think?
Dave answers these and other questions you’ve been dying to ask in this collection of short essays, “Kinky Chipmunks & Horny Goblins: Approximately Ten Funny Stories.”
In a pathetic plea for attention, Dave launched his original humor website, davethefox.com, on April Fool’s Day, 2001. Desperate office workers, chained to their cubicles, flocked to the site when their bosses weren’t looking and squandered time reading Dave’s rants. The website landed Dave deals to write two travel books (above), both of which became bestsellers. His humor columns that are not travel-related, however, have been bobbing aimlessly in cyberspace for a long time.
On April Fool’s Day, 2011, davethefox.com marked its 10-year anniversary. In celebration, Dave has bundled ten of his most popular, funny stories into this e-book. Chapters range in length from 700 to 2,000 words, making them a manageable reading length, even for people with short attention spans (which, let’s face it, is just about everybody these days).
• Back to Basics: How Social Networking Almost Destroyed My Perfectly Mediocre Writing Career
• My Extremely Urgent Earthquake Report
• Beer and Tweezers: A Bachelor’s Guide to Home Safety
• Magic or Madness?
• Live and Let Diet: Dangerous Fun with Dr. Atkins
• Double Tall Confusion: Remedial Italian for Caffeine Addicts
• Attack of the Horny Goblins
• Driving Miss Crazy
• The Machine-Washable Messiah
• Do Not Get Me a Hippopotamus for Christmas
The book also includes Dave’s brand new, extremely controversial exposé on the number ten.
“Downloading this e-book,” Dave says, “is probably not as fun as a bag of catnip. But it’s cheaper and will make you almost as dizzy if you spin around in circles while reading it.”
Order “Kinky Chipmunks and Horny Goblins!”
|Kindle E-Book:||US $2.95||Download for Kindle|
The Fox that Quacked: Essays from Planet Earth
Formats available: Audiobook CD.
Dave Fox’s audiobook CD, “The Fox that Quacked: Essays from Planet Earth,” features 12 humor essays (plus an action-packed intro track) written and read by Dave.
is believed to be the only CD on this planet that includes cats, space aliens, ducks, babies, Norwegians, rats, hotel maids, and a stuffed Jesus doll, all packed into 51 minutes.
This CD will make you laugh really hard. Or if it doesn’t, it also makes a great beer coaster.
Order “The Fox that Quacked!”
|Audiobook CD (Without book purchase.)||US $10.95|
|Audiobook CD (Special offer: Order any paperback book
and add as many CDs as you like at this price.)