Free “Savvy Authors” Humor Writing Chat: Wednesday, January 22
By Dave Fox
SavvyAuthors.com has invited me back to host a live chat and mini-lesson on how to write humor this Wednesday, January 22, 2014.
Contrary to popular belief, a “sense of humor” is not a magical “gift” a few special people are born with. Humor and writing are both skills anyone can develop and polish. I’ll teach the techniques professional comedy writers use to write consistently hilarious material. A few of the topics we’ll discuss include:
- Surprise: The universal element of humor
- Choosing the right words and timing for maximum impact
- Stretching your jokes to make funny things funnier
- Why walruses and wildebeest are higher on the comedic food chain than dogs and children
Whether you’re going for full-blown cackling, or just looking to infuse a few laughs into stories or dialogue, I’ll teach you tricks to help spiff up just about any writing genre. These techniques work great for public speakers too!
The one-hour chat, including a mini-lesson in humor writing and time afterward for Q&A, will happen live at the following time:
- Eastern Time (Americas): Wednesday, January 22 at 9 p.m.
- Pacific Time (Americas): Wednesday, January 22 at 6 p.m.
- Greenwich Mean Time: Thursday, January 23 at 2 a.m.
- Central European Time: Thursday, January 23 at 3 a.m.
- Singapore (where I’ll be checking in from): Thursday, January 23 at 10 a.m.
- Sydney, Australia: Thursday, January 23 at 1 p.m.
This is a free chat, open to anyone who wants to join in, but you need to set up an account in advance on the Savvy Authors website.