Blog

March 1-5: 100 Hours of Humo(u)r!

No matter how you spell it, brace yourself for a global, online party and a cool new kind of writing class!

By Dave Fox
Singapore

I’m throwing a big-ass party, and you’re invited. And you can attend, no matter where in the world you are. With goose-bumpy excitement, I’m thrilled to announce the “100 Hours of Humo(u)r” online festival!

copyright-free-image-cia-worldIt’s going to be my most ambitious and ridiculous web event ever. From March 1 to 5, my goal is to upload new humor-related content to Globejotting.com every hour for a hundred hours.

Some hours, I’ll be blogging “live,” testing my high-speed writing skills with quick comedy blasts. Other hours will feature humor writing mini-lessons to help you become a funnier person. You can put those lessons into action in “flash humor” writing contests; I’ll announce a topic, you’ll have 60 minutes to crank out something funny and send it to me, and the best stories will win prizes. (And, yes, some hours, I’ll be snoring. During those times, pre-written content will upload automatically, so the hourly flood of goofiness will continue all day and night, regardless of your time zone.)

Why all the hoopla? Two reasons: (1) I wanted a reason to use the word, “hoopla.” (2) During the online party, I’ll be kicking off my new and improved series of online writing classes.

I’ve been working feverishly on a more flexible, more affordable format for my humor and travel writing workshops. These information-soaked courses will cost a fraction of what the original workshops cost, and they’ll include new features such as MP3 audio lessons  and the “Globejotters’ Lounge,” our online writers’ hangout. If you’re wanting a more intensive workshop with in-depth, professional coaching, you can purchase add-on critique packages for detailed feedback on your work. These reformatted courses will also offer more flexibility for people with busy schedules. The old workshops took place on specific dates. With the new courses, you can start whenever you like, and work at your own pace.

The “100 Hours” party from March 1 to 5 will include a special pre-sale discount for the new humor course (which is scheduled to be ready around March 15, possibly sooner). The travel writing workshop follows in May, and a new “Writers’ Therapy” class, to help you tackle common emotional challenges writers face, is on deck for later this year.

More details are coming very soon on all the cool stuff that’s included with these courses, and how you can get big discounts on the new writing courses during the 100 Hours of Humo(u)r extravaganza. So check back to Globejotting.com in a few days and mark your calendar for March 1-5.

100-hours-of-humor-logo-globejotting-dot-com-2

The “100 Hours” fest begins at the following times on March 1:

• US Pacific: 6 a.m.
  • US Eastern: 9 a.m.
  • Ireland and Great Britain: 2 p.m.
  • Central European Time: 3 p.m.
  • Singapore / Hong Kong / Perth, Australia: 10 p.m.
  • Sydney, Australia: 1 a.m. (March 2)
  • New Zealand: 3 a.m. (March 2)

Published on Friday, February 8, 2013

15 Responses to “March 1-5: 100 Hours of Humo(u)r!”

1. February 8, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Excellent! I’m in!

2. February 10, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Welcome aboard, Kathryn!

One of my challenges in putting the “flash humor” writing contests together is figuring out which time zones will attract most people. So if anyone who plans to participate could comment here on where in the world they are and when they would most like to see these contests happen, it’ll help with my scheduling. :-)

• March 1, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I have just put out a book called, “Ya Wanna Laugh?” under my prior name, Lucille Rains. I think you should read it.

• March 2, 2013 at 7:46 am

I’m in Chicago, Illinois, USA. Best time for me 9 a.m. Central Standard Time.

Love this 100 Hours! Saw you at Bombeck 2012 and left, well, jazzed!

Thanks, Dave!
      Kelley

3. Kathryn Schipper
    February 11, 2013 at 1:24 am

I’m in the Seattle area. I’m most likely to see an announcement in either the early-morning hours. (6-7 AM Pacific) or evening (5-9 PM) weekdays, or all day (7AM -9PM) weekends.

But of course that’s all dependent on neap tides, the precession of the equinoxes and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. ;-)

4. Al Gosen
    February 14, 2013 at 3:04 am

I’m not quite understanding what this is about and it’s probably my fault but it has peaked my interest. I’m in Texas CST.

• February 26, 2013 at 8:08 am

Ha! I’m not sure what it’s about either, Al, and I’m running it! Basically, for 100 hours, there’ll be hourly humor columns, humor writing tips, contests, feature stories about humor, etc. It’s all to celebrate the launch of my new online humor writing course, which goes on sale Friday, but even if you’re not interested in the class, the “100 Hours” party will be a fun source of procrastination. :-)

5. March 1, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Well, I’ve fed my goats and have directed my human kids concerning their schooling and I am currently sitting at my computer, so GO FOR IT! (EST in the US)

6. Katherine
    March 1, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Trying to sign up for Giggler/with Class Clown add-ons!! Keep clicking on everything (web site looks awesome by the way) … I wanna do it!!! Does it have to PayPal, pal?

Sign me up … will keep clicking …

Dorky on computers for (way) more than 39 years,
    K

• March 1, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Katherine–

I will look into that right away. Stand by. But hey, you took the earlier version of my humor class, right? If you did, you can actually get the new basic edition free and just pay $300 for the add on critiques. My web designer was going to set up a separate page for that but I need to look into it… so hang on and I’ll get back to you. :-)

7. Lucille Joyner
    March 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I’m a sourpuss. Make me laugh!

8. March 2, 2013 at 12:45 am

Great Going!

9. March 2, 2013 at 2:05 am

A humor class?
    Dear students,
    Today we will first learn how to diagram jokes.
    A man walks into a bar and says, “Ouch.”
    “A man” — subject of the joke.
    “. . . walks” — the action part of the joke.
    “. . . into a bar” — the setup part of the joke, which in this case makes you think of a saloon sort of environment.
    “. . . and says” — the pregnant (of great implication or moment) part of the joke.
    “. . . ‘Ouch.’” — The disappointing letdown part of the joke.

10. March 2, 2013 at 3:57 am

I’m in Little Rock, Arkansas (central time zone). Am I too late to participate in the hoopla?!

• Art Segal
      March 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm

A little late to celebrate Bill’s election – but maybe not too late for Hillary’s, if she and Michelle can work things out. Oh, that wasn’t what you meant by “hoopla”? My bad. BTW, would anyone like to hear about my cross-country move by car with two cats in 1998? How I sneaked them, their litter box and cat food into thirteen “No pets allowed” motels? Didn’t think so. But I’ll share anyway, just in case you’re up at 2:30 AM and already read the latest Economist and can’t find your Harpers.